Since a young age, I have been an avid thrifter. Second hand was the normal way of life for my family. As I dive deeper into my love for sewing I have shifted gears from thrifting my clothing to thrifting fabric to make my clothing.
First, I try to source fabric second hand by searching for larger dresses or even pants to cut up and create something new. It's often tough to find garments large enough to make what you want out of them, so occasionally I purchase a linen piece simply because I love the color or pattern of the material even though it doesn't have a section large enough for the pattern I have in mind.
When I find an article of clothing, I bring the garment home, wash it, then cut it at all seams to see what I have to work with. Often I end up with long narrow strips from sleeves or dress panels. Typically I piece those together to make a garment from all one fabric...but this time I had a little fun trying something new!
The Pattern: Shirt No. 1 by 100 Acts of Sewing
The Fabric: Linen from 3 different second-hand garments. Recognize the light blue from my Ogden Cami facing?
Modifications: Slightly shortened from the original pattern to work with the patch-working I was doing.
Styling & Versatility: This top is very unique and at first glance might not strike you as a capsule or staple piece. But I'm finding that it's fun to add a few patterned pieces into my wardrobe to keep things interesting. I also pulled all blues from my stash to create this top so it's not as bold as some combinations!
Overal Review: Shirt No. 1 is an incredibly easy-to-make easy-to-wear pattern. This is my second Shirt No. 1 and I wear both in heavy rotation. I love the simplicity of the shape and pattern itself. The pattern literally has one piece!
This was my first time joining fabric in this way and I would take a different approach next time. You can see how the top doesn't hang perfectly straight. I believe this is due to the linen being different weights and how I cut it out. Next time I will piece together my fabric slightly larger than what my pattern calls for, wash it, then cut out the pattern pieces to stitch together.
This top was a bit of an experiment and challenge to use up my precious linen pieces I can't seem to part with!